PARADOXICAL REALITY CHECK
KENTMERE HORSESHOE
Kentmere Horseshoe is my favourite race. A bold statement because there have been lots of courses over the years that could stake a claim. But Kentmere was my first proper race in the Lakes back in 2006 and has been the 'must do-er' ever since - provided I am fit enough of course. It's also the first place that springs to mind on the rare chance of nipping so far Northwards for a cracking training run. For me, Kentmere has got the whole fell running package packed in to just under twelve miles.
I can look back fondly at three particularly gradely performances for a nobody in particular and also the fact I've never had a truly poor race here. I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised that I couldn't hit a time to be more proud of this year. In fairness, I'm a bit unhappy and perplexed to have been even five minutes slower than my last appearance two years ago, but then it's only just over six weeks since that Harrock Hill horror show. In the end I was competitive, ran the race to the best of my current ability and so mustn't indulge in too much self Johnny-bashing having taken just enough disappointment from this to further motivate rather than destroy me.
The reality check taken from Kentmere is a paradoxical one. Whilst the dark reality of my finishing time leaves me still plundering around in the shadows of previous performances, the enlightening reality of enjoying every moment of it, just being alive, fit and out there on the roof tiles of England, running, competing and pushing myself is what it's all about. It was like I had finally grown up, well in a running sense at least. I still strive for better, but I've accepted the level where I am at right now. Easy on the sulks, easier on the self deprecation. Just keep racing, training hard but sensibly and avoid obsessing with anything in particular. It's got to be the way forward, if I can sustain it.
By leaving out the usual midweek night race leading up to this weekend one, there seemed to be some kind of automatic anatomic shutdown as far as running was concerned. Aside from an interval session on the Monday, mentally distant and physically lacking some punch all week it was just a load of plods through the motions after that. By Sunday I did feel better although early on it was clear that climbing, my main weakness, was going to be extra tough that day. Hold on, a fell runner whose weakness is climbing? Well, John Terry has made a fantastic career out of football despite not being able to kick a ball very well. So did Neil Ruddock, Julian Dicks, Vinny Jones... but yes, it's the speed of climbing that's mainly letting me down and what's clearly been costing me valuable time at races lately.
After the steep ascent off the Garburn Pass and to the more gradual roll up to Yoke, I was losing places and conceded that I was certainly not going to be running a stormer this year. That was the longest uphill section of the race done, but plenty more pulls to come. A few more positions went begging but a few hauled back as I seemed to finally find my place in the field. The familiar sight of my old Chorley Harrier nemesis Dominic Raby had got a minute or two ahead and it was just like old times. But heading towards the high point of the race and the summit of High Street it became clear I'd got a bit closer to Dom and a few other guys in his mini-cluster. Regardless of time, which was relatively slow to High Street by previous splits, at least this boded well for a competitive second half when there is a chance to stretch out the legs to some decent running. After passing over Mardale Ill Bell, a couple of crags breaks things up and I started to get closer to the Chorley one there, although he seemed to react to my presence by kicking further on again.
A deceptive characteristic of Dominic Raby is that, at best, his style of running doesn't appear very economical and so it's difficult to tell if he is going strong or starting to buckle! It did seem to be the latter though, so unlike old times, after the drag up to Kentmere Pike and the main stretch of descent back to the valley, I'd almost caught him up. I took a slip on some wet rocks which took the wind out of my sails for a moment, but if anything, the pain bolstered my levels of adrenaline. I was thinking that a good old ding-dong with Dominic to the finish was on, but as we hit the valley floor with about a mile to go it was clear that Dom's goose was all but cooked, conceding his place which I was a bit disappointed about - for both of us in fact. I was feeling bashed up myself along the paths back to the village and pushed as hard as I could, but was still made to look extraordinarily ordinary with a few hundred yards to go by some young Macclesfield lad who had way too much left in the tank at that stage!
I've done 1.42 a couple of times and Dominic's done something like 1.37 or maybe even less. Today we were 1.53 and 1.54 not so respectively. Dom's got his work cut out more than me to get back where he wants to be, but he's certainly not one to right off and I'm sure there'll be a backlash from this at some other race soon. As this was my first run in excess of nine miles since April, I'm also living in hope that I get a positive reaction from this effort in the next few races to come, starting with Widdop fell race this evening. I've plodded out a couple of short recovery runs and a rehabilating walk of six miles up the majestic peak of Ingleborough since Sunday. During these couple of days my running stance has emulated one of those illustrated text book diagrams showing the historical development of man. I think I am now just about upright again to give it a shot tonight.
Sunday 16th July 2017
KENTMERE HORSESHOE 11.9m/3300ft Kentmere, Cumbria
1st Man - Joshua Jardine (Helm Hill) 1.32:57
1st Lady - Julie Briscoe (Dark Peak) 1.53:35
My Stats - 1.53:23 42/344
It's a love affair with the Kentmere Horseshoe. This year was my eighth appearance at the race itself and sadly it appears yet another personal worst time to burden my current ambition! Previous performances are listed below:
2006 - 1.52:52 - 49th
2008 - 1.42:20 - 46th (English Champs)
2009 - 1.47:34 - 22nd
2010 - 1.42:22 - 12th
2011 - 1.42:52 - 12th
2014 - 1.51:04 - 66th (English Champs)
2015 - 1.47:57 - 28th
No comments:
Post a Comment