LESS IS MORE AND MORE TO COME
PILGRIM'S CROSS
Back to business then with a midweek fell race. Those Summer sniffles were a thing of the past and along with a week of training banked in the big country, this left me bereft of excuses for anything short of a progressive run at Pilgrim's Cross. This race has somehow escaped my presence if not my attention over the years so it was time to give it a whirl. As one of the Rossendale Harriers Four Race Midweek Series, these fixtures never fail to deliver a cracking evening's racing in my experience and this one delivered as expected. Bill Beckett may beg to differ however; in the immediate aftermath of winning an epic battle with a rival from Bowland, the gasping Chorley fellsman complained the course was ''too runnable'' - quote of the evening for sure! But spiderman climbs on this one there was not. It's all about the running.
Parts of the course I have trodden before over Bull Hill and Harcles Hill, but other than that it was another exercise in extending my mind map of the Rossendale moors. Early on as we ascended from road, to track, to moorland I was tucked in behind the distinctive hipster of Horwich that is Andy Ford. That shaven head, substantial brown beard and red vest has passed me quite a few times in the latter half of races recently so I thought I was in sensible company at that point. Unusually though I was feeling very strong on this initial incline and had to push past him, with a nothing ventured - nothing gained approach, because if he kicks my ass later on then I'm expecting it anyway.
As the course levelled out I picked off a couple more places and roughly totted up that I may be in the top ten. I then gave chase to the next vest ahead in the distinctive colours of Rochdale Harriers, all be it briefly until he dropped off Harcles Hill so rapidly the realisation was accepted that position-wise I had probably found my limit in this one. The Rochdale runner seemed to push further away but I sensed I was creating a gap myself on those behind and felt good entering the second half of the race until a bad patch struck. On the gradual upward drag towards Bull Hill I felt the rarity of a stitch coming on. I debated with myself whether or not a slice of Soreen only an hour before kick off could be the culprit, or maybe it was just down to plain old running hard that had brought it on. Regardless, I bared my teeth to try and maintain momentum but approaching the top of Bull Hill I could hear company behind and it was getting closer. Just before the summit, a figure sneaked in to the left of my periphery vision and nudged ahead and I was very surprised to find it was not Andy Ford. Encouraged by that, I dug in to keep with this yellow vested intruder to the summit when, like the flick of a switch, my stitch subsided and it was all systems go again as I regained my position and some distance on the following descent. I knew there must still be a bit of a climb to come somewhere so I flogged it as hard as I could to give myself a buffer in case I was to struggle again with an incline. However I felt strong when that final little pull arrived and I knew as the gradual run back down to Helmshore began that if anybody was going to try and pinch my place now then I would have an answer.
Tenth place was a good night at the office, although that Rochdale man Danny Bennett had gained not far off two minutes on me, leaving a visible gulf in class from ninth spot to myself. But I was top of the second string at least and managed to finally do enough to keep Andy Ford from striking range who finished next in eleventh place.
Other than a fell race per week, there really hasn't been, or is, a specific plan or a long term goal right now other than trying to get stronger and faster and I'm loving it. Less mileage, of which I'm averaging no more than thirty per week at present, but of more quality and built around when I race. It has been a long, long time coming but at last I genuinely feel like my running is going in the right direction now and with a fair bit more to come yet.
Wednesday 9th August 2017
PILGRIM'S CROSS 6m/1100ft Helmshore, Rossendale, Lancs.
1st Man - Callum Davidson (Rossendale) 38:48
1st Lady - Sarah Bell (Barlick) 49:15
My Stats - 44:43 10/149
No comments:
Post a Comment