THE LONG AND SHORT OF IT
Training goes on, but there's been nowt to report on the racing front other than actual intention to do some in the weeks to come. More than anything, the geography and logistics of races which interested me lately have scuppered realistic hopes of pinning a number on. In the last week an underlying cold or virus of some description hasn't exactly knocked me out of action as such, but made it clear that running hard is not a good idea just at the moment. So, tentatively I continue to just cruise out some daily mileage.
One race forthcoming that is most definitely on my agenda is Dunnerdale. I remember the veteran Chorley Harriers fell runner Pete Starkey recommending this one to me probably ten years ago and so it's one of those to-do's that I might finally tick off. It's a bit of a trek, deep in to the South Western fells of Cumbria, but seeing as it's my birthday weekend a great excuse for a stopover perhaps? I planted the seed with Sara and she's up for it! (Based on the promise that I don't send her driving over Wrynose and Hardknott Pass again which I deceptively played down as just a scenic route a couple of weeks ago) After the unfortunate cancellation of Wasdale Show, hopefully this next mini-break over that way will at least incorporate the fell race and thus satisfy my more purely selfish needs.
I don't understand fishing - a diverse and sudden subject twist there, but I'm no fan of sticking a hook in a creature's mouth that has a similar nervous system to ourselves, even if the hook is removed and the fish chucked back in the water. But I don't get it as a pass time either. Peace and quiet, yes, but sat there just waiting for something to happen? I'm sceptical. I distinctly remember a moment at work some twenty years ago now when I asked my then Head Chef, Barry Williams, ''What do you think about when you are fishing Chef?''. The answer, with a very serious look and assuring nods of the head was, ''Fish. I think about fish.'' Of course he did, what a stupid question.
When I'm out running, what do I think about mostly? Well, running. Other stuff as well, but mainly running. Perhaps I am of a similar weird psyche to anglers I concede, minus the thrills at the expense of pain and discomfort to a living creature I hasten to add.
During this current period of damage-limitation-but-legs-ticking-over-ness until feeling fully well again, I have indeed thought a hell of a lot about running and made some very official decisions. Mainly that it really is time to forget the long stuff and stick to the medium and shorter distances. It's never been my bag and my body just doesn't want to play, certainly not any more. Three Peaks next year? No. A proper ''no'', not a ''no'' but actually ''yes'' nearer the time. It's an absolute ''NO''. That way, I carry on doing what seems to be working and I might just hit the ground running for next year's Spring and Summer season. Even the Tour of Pendle next month - it's a ''no''. The clash with Podium 5K on the same day had me deliberating, but even though the latter is on the dreaded tarmac, based on current training volume and a decent clip at speed sessions, I have to pick the one that I can go in to with confidence and despite the tarmac, Podium it is. The long and short of it is that shorter will be better than longer and road running avoided as much as possible. The idea of even just a 10K race on the road sounds horrible and too far these days, but anything up to fourteen miles on the fells I will gladly take and feel I can do myself justice in. Aside from maybe tackling a Lakeland Classic race next Summer such as Borrowdale which I've always wanted to do but found convenient excuses not to, I think it's a wise move in knocking long distance on the head for the foreseeable. I'm sure the temptation will come back to haunt me at some point, but for now it's well and truly off the agenda.
Also on the forefront of my running mind for a while has been the ever decreasing fell running fraternity at my club over recent years. It's never bothered me to be the only Blackburn Harrier at many a fell race, in fact I've quite enjoyed the notoriety sometimes. But it's the lack of team event participation and particularly at the national fell relays over the past couple of years that has been a dormant disappointment ready to spark some sort of reaction. I've raised it with the guys concerned but it boils down to numbers and the lack of them that are genuinely interested in the fells to form teams with any sort of strength in depth required to cover injuries and unavailability. It is what it is. Harriers remain a force to be reckoned with on the road, cross country, track and field. But, despite Blackburn's distinguished history being inclusive of some great fell runners, a fell running club it never was and also over recent years the amount of individuals interested or actively engaged in this discipline has diminished. In 2015 I had a go at managing teams myself for a year and started out with drive and ambition, but it was tough to keep on top of and in fairness to my own misgivings, I didn't have the management tools or the patience for the job.
Was it not for breaking in to a bit of decent form at the end of Summer, I wouldn't be getting itchy feet. But realising that the transition to Crown Green bowling would have to wait whilst the realistic belief of plenty more years of fell racing returned, this got me thinking that I don't want to waste a minute. I love the fell relays and there are other distinguished team competitions I've yet to get under my belt. I don't want to miss many more whilst I'm still fit and able.
The feeling amongst others at the club with off-road intentions on this matter is generally as consolidating as mine. All in all, this leaves me seeking a new club or a second club, at least as far as fell running is concerned. It's truly regretful in many ways, but instinctively it's just something I have to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment