Thursday, 7 December 2017

MAKING LIGHT OF THE DARK
Since switching clubs, one or two have remarked on me turning to "the dark side". I laughed it off - all in good spirit - but actually, is it? There does seem to be this underlying reputation of elitism attached to the Ribble Valley club which gets up some people's noses. That very deluded stigma in itself gets right up mine. As I have said quite clearly to all inquisitors, my own presence at Ribble Valley Harriers proves the club is anything but elitist!
It's a tightly knit group of runners who are very competitive. There is no shame in this and nor should there be. Let us remember that running is not just an activity, but firts and foremost it is a sport. Let us remember that running clubs can be more than just social clubs with a running habit.
On a local level at least, RVH founder Chris Barnes has stirred up volcanic reaction in recent times with his forthright opinions on the current state of amateur running. Notably, the diminishing numbers of fast runners at local races and the massive increase at the slower end. That opens up a separate can of worms, but generally speaking, from that volcano, Ribble Valley Harriers emerged as a new island flying the flag of the purely competitive. Ok, so Ribble Valley would appear to be a closed shop to the new wave of 'social runners' and to an extent beginners, but then I don't understand people being offended by this. Why should every running club have to try to accommodate and please absolutely everyone? Adhering to a misled culture of box ticking and extreme political correctness has got to stop somewhere. Provided there's no sexism, racism, or other immoral ism's in place, surely a club is entitled to it's own ethos? RV runners just want to get better times, better positions and pull each other along. Some folk can get a bit Neo-Liberal about the old saying, ''t'is not the winning but the taking part that counteth.'' Cue another potential can of worms here - non-competitive school sports days. What on earth is all that about? 
But all that said, Ribble Valley's lack of popularity, partially at least, probably boils down to personality and that Chris is not everybody's cup of tea. He says what he thinks and he also loves a wind-up. I don't always agree with him entirely, but I believe his passion for what he thinks is right makes him a great asset to the sport. He's re-founded a club with an ethos he strongly believes in and where would the world be without the Podium 5K's and the December Turkey Trot? He organises races that, contrary to the elitist tag, cater for absolutely all. He's giving plenty back to the sport and people are probably too quick to forget this just because he likes to drop a grenade of uncomfortable discussion now and again. If this is the dark side, then I have seen the light.

PAIN IN THE BUM
A quick update on the running then as well whilst on the page. After ticking over nicely the past couple of weeks I now find myself nursing a pull in the gluteus regions which is quite literally a pain in the bum. Cold weather doesn't help. I knew that Tuesday night's hill rep session with the club would be a tester for what has been an ongoing niggle of sorts for some time. Foolhardily, I ran the last few reps with things tightening up quite a bit and then once the muscles cooled down later that evening, so the soreness kicked in. It was a fest of Tiger Balm and ibuprofen yesterday. Another day on and it doesn't nag when walking at least. The very steadiest of a steady mile or two will be tested out later. With a couple of races coming up this month and again in January, I feel I'm suddenly treading on thin ice to be in good fettle for them at the moment. As always, time will tell.






No comments:

Post a Comment