Sunday, 4 February 2018

RUNNING... AND RANTING AGAIN
So in the end I took seven days out from running and by then I was ready to have a go again. I came back refreshed, de-niggled, with a fresh purpose and now absolutely convinced that tarmac is a sin. For road running, read repetitive stress. Note to self here, it's been noted before but it's time I took notice of my own advice! Almost two weeks back in to training and it's all been about trying to replicate the routine of last Summer with a few seasonal twists. So far, so good. Back at club training it was the rarity of a flat session with 5K broken up in to sixteen reps and half minute recoveries - I think we were meant to be doing some sort of particular pacing or other, but this served only to confuse me so it was head down and just get on with it. Feeling good, I ran them all pretty solid at a flattering pace. This came on the back of just over a week of running steady stuff in strictly bog and mud only, with a couple of short rep sessions up Clitheroe Castle chucked in. As such, a flat speed session on a hard surface in racing shoes was a welcome contrast. Since then, more Castle reps and more bogs. This sort of routine needs to be ticking over now to build strength and speed going in to races later this month. Well, that's the plan at least.
Back training with the club then last Tuesday, an incident occurred which backed up some of the rant I touched upon here a few weeks ago. We were just on a mile and a half or so warm up before the session, innocently going about our business down Whalley Road and about to pass a lady jogger to whom we gave plenty of space, even stepping wide off the pavement and in to the road for. Bizarrely she overreacted by stopping as if physically barged out of the way and complaining loudly, ''Oh, I didn't know it was a race?!''. What? Oh sorry, is it criminality to overtake now? This backs up recent stories I've heard about some runners shouting things like ''show off!''. What is it with these people? That's what I'm talking about when I fear Neo-Liberal Conservatives are trying to hijack the sport. They might still be a minority, but it's a growing trend and hence my concern and irritation.
Running as an activity is simple - slip a pair of shoes on and from your doorstep, off you go - you have a right to do so who ever you are and at whatever pace you select. But that anybody can do it is precisely why in some ways running as a sport is vulnerable to holding it's own as a competitive outlet first and foremost. If running hard - or in this case just warming up before running hard - is to be frowned upon because it makes a slower runner feel somehow belittled, intimidated or offended, then I would prefer to challenge why the hell that is than bow to it and tip toe around these people. They may dress up their right to be a runner in a robe of pure equality and opportunity for all - which is great - but only on their terms it would seem, and so there you have it - your archetypal Neo-Liberal Conservative runner! Aspiring to a challenge, but resenting competition.       

No comments:

Post a Comment