Wednesday, 2 January 2019

AND THAT WAS THE YEAR THAT WAS BUT WASN'T
The running year ended twenty days short and the longest period without a run of any description for many years rolls over in to this next one. Ok, so this run of runlessness has brought to the surface a little grumpiness and frustration at times, not to mention broader underlying tensions with the world and some of it's undesirable humanoid inhabitants - I didn't even touch the sides with my depressing vision of the present and the future last month! - but generally I've been enjoying the break and over-indulging in good food and beer during the festive period like most normal folk do.
I was just revving up to naming a date to go out there and run again when I got bogged down with illness. Man flu to be precise. Once it took hold on the chest as well, that was that so far as running in 2018 was concerned and also the foreseeable short term whilst still in the grips of this pesky germ fest. Trying to dig out a positive spin on the situation, it could all be a blessing in disguise - I feel like I've got a new pair of knees to test out when I finally get my kit back on again.
Looking back over last year at a glance, it was successful in terms of being fit and able to just get out there and enjoy racing regularly. That is the main thing of course and I would never lose perspective of this. But in terms of performance, there was very little to get excited about. I'd worked up to some good racing form by September and October, but then I blew it by testing the water of longer distance. Experimenting with a return to the longer stuff actually broke me, so the next time I start exhuming unfinished business and thinking about the Three Peaks Race, I would be wise to bury the idea again with immediate effect.
2019 is going to be a juggle of what's left in the competitive bank and ultimately what remains within the restrictions of physical capability. The older I get, the more difficult it is to find a training routine that works consistently over a long period. The goalposts remain in the same place, but the ball keeps blowing away from me in the wind.

2018 Mileage Total: 1298.6

No comments:

Post a Comment