Sunday, 19 June 2016

NOT BOWLED OVER BUT STILL NOT BOWLING
PODIUM 5K
Was it Winston Churchill who said, "Some of us were born to do Podium, some of us become Podium runners and some of us have Podium thrust upon us"? Not quite, I think he was referring to greatness, actually. Podium - certainly not greatness - was thrust upon me this Friday evening as I was tempted by the obligation of my presence for the Up & Running shop which was represented on site. I could have given it a miss this time around, but of equal obligation, I was there and fit to run so quite simply my conscience would not accept anything other than pinning on a number and having a bash. Unlike the last Podium 5K in March, I haven't been doing significant mileage and the only speedy sessions of late are a couple which I dutifully crashed in the week leading up to the race, once I had acknowledged to myself that I wasn't going to live with myself if I didn't actually to run it.
So this blog, diary, whatever it is, hasn't converted focus to crown green bowling just yet then. It's still about running as I feel a small corner has been turned. Not as much cycling as I planned, probably not as much running either, but at least the hamstrung state of affairs has eased and maybe it's time to just get out there and do some races, regardless of where I finish. Having spluttered enough pace in my emergency speed sessions to be confident of just about sub-6 minute miling, there was absolutely no doubt whatsoever about entering the 'A' race. Sub-18 is the organiser's guideline entry and I've ranted previously about this... if you're sub-18 and you know it, then you've got to stick yourself in there with the big boys and girls. Because many of my similarly timed competitors opted for the 'B' race, it was another lonely affair during the five laps of the Barrowford cycle track. More lonely than last time because I just didn't quite have the race in me for this one. Accy's Chris Walton and another fella were always in reaching distance, but there just wasn't that smooth control of decent pace that I enjoyed back in March. Each of the three miles got slightly slower and with a lap and a half to go I could feel that sustaining the pace and effort I was already giving was a challenge in itself. A lack of miles in the bank recently meant I didn't have the endurance to fall back on, but 17:46 was by no means a disaster.
At least being slower than last time out I got a great view of Ben Fish crossing the line in first place at the opposite side of the track. I was pleased for my clubmate and store boss. He's been knocking on the door for a Podium victory since it's inauguration and went sub-15 on it as well. For hindsight thoughts of my own performance, I can only stand by my comments made to the great George Davies for the club's news round-up - "My tendency to chase the shadows of times gone by generally leaves me rather disappointed with myself when I show up for a race these days. But the reality is that in a few more years time I will probably look back and say that wasn't a bad time off a sketchy last month of training at the age of 42. There's still a sub-17 in me on this course if I can get some consistent speed sessions in I reckon, but the clock is ticking." - that sums things up I suppose. Credit to the Barnes again for a cracking race. He had his hands full with over two hours of racing in constant flow from juniors through to seniors. Now for the Sabden 6 Trail Race this week and onwards, if not entirely upwards.

Fri. 17th June 2016
PODIUM 5K   Barrowford, Lancs.  
1st Man - Ben Fish (Blackburn H) 14:59  
1st Lady - Lauren Howarth (Leigh) 15:58
My Stats - 17:46   34/37

No comments:

Post a Comment