Tuesday, 21 June 2016

SEVEN SINS
I've been on the running scene for just over ten years now and generally speaking, what a fine breed of peculiar people I have had the pleasure of meeting. But, as in any walk (or run) of life, there is always annoyance, nuisance and bug bares to bare. As somebody who can get easily irritated at times, here are seven random running things that particularly get on my nerves...

1) OVERTAKING AND BRAKING...
So it's a fell race and it's pretty much a section of single file trod unless you want to go through some really rough stuff. Then clever clogs comes alongside surging in the heather and tussocks to not only cut right in front, put then put the breaks on and proceed at a slower pace than I was running in the first place. It's even worse on a climb when all you have is their backside parked in your face. 

2) BOUNDARY HOPPERS...
"In the interests of the future of this race, please use stiles and gates and do not climb walls and fences. Thank you". It said so in the race info, the race organiser even gave a verbal reminder at the start. But early on in the race amongst us also-rans there is a small queue forming at the next field boundary. That's the cue for one numpty to think their need is far greater and rather than wait a few seconds, go for the illegal clamber and brazenly jog on ignoring the rightful protests of fellow competitors and basically behaving like a dick.

3) STILE BUT NO SUBSTANCE...
Another example of nonsensical nuisance behaviour at land boundaries is when a runner surges to nip in front of you just before the next stile or gate. Now if the finish is in sight, then I totally get it. But then if that was the case I'd make a counter-surge to guard my place!
But when there are still ten miles to go, they're probably no better than me and then have the audacity to faff about getting over or through the said obstacle, said sinners ought to take a hindsight moment to question the bizarre and unnecessary nature of this behaviour.

4) LITTER BUGGERS...
Buggers they are too, but thankfully few and far between. I've witnessed only a few instances of deliberate littering by runners. At Keswick, Mick Green, who then ran for Lostock AC, thought nothing of chucking his plastic cup in to the bottom of a hedge on Fitz Park whilst we cooled down after the Skiddaw race. I can only hope that was a one off from Mick who I otherwise knew to be a decent enough chap. On the way to a ladies victory in the Three Peaks race of 2011, New Zealander Anna Frost tossed her plastic cup to ground 100 yards beyond the High Birkwith checkpoint like it was some City road marathon. It certainly didn't look accidental. The plastic cup sped off down the valley, tumbling in to the wind. There are some sinners out there no careful enough with their gel wrappers or who even think it's fine to spit out the bit they rip off with their teeth to open them. It's not.

5) NOT SO PERFECT PARTNERS...
Relay races and more specifically, fell relays when running in a pair... there really isn't anything worse than a partner who is quicker than you that doesn't grasp the concept of teamwork and getting the best out of you. Although we used to do the odd training run together, Dominic Raby wasn't an ideal companion to race in a pair with when I was at Chorley Harriers. Dom had a ten yard rule - he liked to be ten yards ahead if he was on his game. But the worst case scenario for me was after joining Blackburn and being partnered with Lee Passco a few times. Lee was running well at the time, a bit quicker than me and he seemed to have to prove this point when we were paired up in relays. Nightmare.
Best case scenario was Matt Nuttall. In a different class to myself, but got the best out of me at the British Fell Relays on the Lomonds of Fife. Certainly the odd time since, when I have perhaps  been the stronger runner, I would never put my partner through the mire or get fifty yards ahead. I've seen examples of this at most team relays I've done. Last year at the Bradford Millenium Way Relay there was a clearly experienced chap paired up with a young lass who was really struggling. The sight of him fifty yards ahead and gaining wasn't doing much for her confidence or well being and he should of known better. As we passsed him I debated whether to say owt. Wished I had done now. Nowt worse in a team than a complete lack of teamwork!

6) PARKRUN SNOBBERY...

What on earth is all this about? You turn up at a Parkrun but don't scan your card at the finish because you don't want your time going up on the all important Power of Ten site?! I've only done four Parkruns, all at the far from flat Cuerden Valley course which is not conducive to fast times and this has happened twice when names to faces I recognise mysteriously don't appear on the results. Hijacking an event like this which people volunteer time and effort to put on really is the height of bad manners. These folk are also taking themselves way too seriously.

7) DISSENTING THE RACE ORGANISER.

Now this one really drives me nuts. I hate it when a race organiser gets criticism of ANY sort, even if they did get something wrong. It's a thankless task and without these fantastic individuals pulling their tripe out and giving something back to the sport, there are no races on the calendar for the rest of us to pick and choose from.

All of the above are purely isolated incidents and occasional bug bares. The antidotal write-up to the 'Seven Sins' would read 'The Magnificent Million' for all the good things to say about the sport and fell running in particular.

No comments:

Post a Comment