UP AND RUNNING AGAIN
WITTON TRAIL RELAYS
So Tebay didn't happen on the Wednesday. I talked myself out of that race, feeling I lacked even the ability to just get around the course and enjoy it. There was no race in me, that's for sure. It was disappointing to feel so jiggered when I really wanted to go. But I also had to consider a
commitment the following evening as a member of the Up & Running line-up at the Witton Trail Relays. This consisted of a three-legged 2.4ish mile per leg affair with roughly a mile of ascent to the top of Billinge Woods and the downhill fruits of your labour for the return back to Witton Park. Organised by Richard Taylor and English Hill Runners, this is a brilliant event with a cracking little course and great atmosphere. Garry Wilkinson had brought together a men's veteran team and ladies team. The not long a runner, but already a legend, Bryan Searby got our men's team off on the first leg, former top end fell runner Wilkinson followed and then it was the humble I for the third and final leg. Our ladies team kicked off with esteemed local distance runner Sarah Ridehalgh returning to the scene from an injury lay-off, Jeanette Armitage from local club Running 4CF and then only Britain's best at duathlon, World Champion for her age group and fourth overall at the 2016 World Championships... that would be Emma Taylor. She's not bad at Ironman either. All in all a spectacularly diverse line-up in the Up & Running squad! The conditions were excellent for running, if not spectating. Cool but by no means cold, light rain and ground that could take a stud. The girls took a splendid 3rd place in the ladies standings, whilst us boys were 6th in the veterans department.
When I rolled up for this race I was yawning incessantly. I tried trotting over to the start, but couldn't be bothered so I walked. It wasn't boding well for a decent run! Once I'd taken in a bit of the atmosphere and had a few natters, I thought I'd best make the effort. With plenty of time until I grabbed the baton, I warmed up by tottering around the course in reverse and managed to wake myself up a bit and loosen those stiff, lazy legs. Cometh the third leg then and after a conservative first half a mile I began to get a decent shift on up the woods and really enjoyed putting a bit of welly in to the descent back to the finish.
Thu. 30th June 2016
WITTON TRAIL RELAYS 2.3m/492ft Witton Park, Blackburn
Fastest Men's Leg - Chris Holdsworth (Clayton) 14:38 Fastest Ladies Leg - Sarah Tipler (Barlick) 17:10
Men's Team Winners - Bunny Relay Champs (Barlick) 44:37 Ladies Team Winners - Barlick Ladies 'A' 56:13
My Stats - (Leg 3) 17:10 Team Stats - (Up & Running Vets) 56:42 33/110
No comments:
Post a Comment