Thursday, 23 June 2016

A SAD TALE FROM SABDEN TRAIL
SABDEN 6 TRAIL RACE
Going in to this race I was unsure what was in store. The only preconceived guarantee was that I would finish it at least. But even that proved not to be the case as I haunted myself with a DNF about two miles in to proceedings. I've had two Did Not Finish experiences in the past - a bust knee after a rocky tumble at the Three Shires race couldn't be helped and I maintain it was entirely sensible when I pulled up quite early on in the Sedburgh Hills race. Breaking in a pair of Walsh fell runners that I had won went all wrong. After stupidly straying off course on the first descent, the Walshes proved no good for me. I was literally running on the sides of the shoes when cambering and strained something in the lower leg.
This DNF at Sabden though, this was just a sudden compulsion. It just happened. A mental and physical recognition that a competitive edge had been left behind on the starting line. I was struggling, just like I've struggled before on many occasions, but here I simply stopped, literally said, "sod this", and turned to trot back the opposite way. I wasn't where I wanted to be, challenging where I felt I ought to be challenging. I'm sure if anyone gave a hoot they might criticise my actions. It was a weak thing to do, the easiest thing to do. But I didn't feel relief when I stopped and began to retrace my steps, far from it, and if it was an easy option then I would have done it before in recent times.
As I hit the main track back to the village, ironically I naturally picked up a bit of speed again and embarrassingly received the plaudits of some onlookers who mistakenly thought I was the race leader coming back in! It just wasn't the race to pull out of as there was no stealthy way back to report my resignation to a race official and instead faced the ignominy of a watching crowd back at the start and finish line. There was a bit of good banter, but the iconic presence of Blackburn Harriers club secretary George Davies looked bemused at my lame excuse for pulling the plug. It's a good job race organiser Shaun Livesey missed this inglorious act because he would have sent me back out there to do the full course.
So as I latched on to the familiar journey home down the A59, I searched for excuses why I was rubbish and dropped out... I've not had chance to do the long runs in recent weeks, I can't do track sessions, I felt like crap most of that day, I had a meal at 4:30pm, Richard Taylor (and George) gave me one last lobbying on the EU Referendum when I should have been warming up, our new dog Connie hasn't slept through yet... but essentially, I think it's just a lack of real quality training and ability to sustain it that is letting me down.
From here I either go with the flow that iksn't flowing very well or I just don't race any more. Well, at least not until after next week's Tebay fell race. Those lush green lumps that are the Howgills have the pulling power to make me race again next Wednesday, but the lush greens at the Leyland Fox Lane Club upon which to roll some woods is also a power that pulls ever closer.

Wed. 22nd June 2016
SABDEN 6 TRAIL RACE (6m)   Sabden, Lancs.  
Ist Man - Tom Cornthwaite (Salford) 35:44  
1st Lady - Louisa Powell Smith (Clayton) 41:53
My Stats - DNF

No comments:

Post a Comment