TEN DAYS TIL PEAKS
So the Three Peaks race has come around once again. I really cannot call how it's going to pan out this year. Current race form suggests there is no point whatsoever of getting hung up about chasing anything close to a PB. On the one hand training has been very solid and consistent for months, but on the other hand without a single long run much over thirteen miles and not enough mileage done on the big fells it's difficult to gauge what's really in the tank for a 23 miler. I'm starting to think more about my condition after the Peaks rather than the race itself. I've taken an off-road-only stance and not running at all when I don't feel like it with the aim of generally edging towards getting some freshness back in the legs. Having had a look at what I was doing when I was hitting much better form a good few years ago, the truth is that sustained mileage was never the key.
Post-Darwen Half and after a really disappointing run, mentally I couldn't be arsed and physically I was feeling weary so a week of very tentative training and some rest days were chucked in to the mix to help recharge a sense of willing and stave off the threat of falling in to an injury hole. I'm fairly certain too much tarmac pounding during Winter has recently taken it's toll, so with the Three Peaks looming and if only to maintain a state of basic running capability to still take part in the race, it's no more junk miles and especially so on the hard stuff.
The last week or two has seen the return of some enthusiasm and some decent quality runs in the bag. A distinct lack of tarmac has certainly helped get those niggles back under control and a few more non-running days is helping to see through the murk of mileage and towards the light of freshness. Last night saw a return to strong running in the weekly interval session on the track, solidly averaging 73 seconds for 16 x 400 metres with one minute recoveries. I'd planned to do twenty, but sixteen quality ones felt enough as tomorrow it's a long awaited run in the Lake District with my old favourite, the Kentmere Horseshoe, to get under the belt. So yes, the Three Peaks is on my mind and I'd like to do as well as I possibly can on the day. But it's all about my race performances thereafter. I cannot continue to train hard and feel like crap most of the week only to then race like a sack of spuds before publicly self deprecating in this diary. If it's not depressing me, then it must be depressing my tiny circle of readers that recent blog statistics show to be ever decreasing! There are many ways, more positive ways in which to spend spare time and other avenues to seek sporting endorphin. I've not given up on competitive running yet, but I need to be realistic. This year really is the year of do or don't.
No comments:
Post a Comment