Tuesday, 5 March 2019

HARD CORE, LOW PROFILE, HIGH HOPES 
February did not turn out like it was supposed to at all. Having jumbled a meagre eighty miles together, the month did at least end on a positive spin. Some progressive runs on the road and my first outing on the fell in twelve long weeks. It wasn't pretty, but importantly the capability of being able to dig in and hurt myself a bit had finally returned. With that, a sense of enjoyment also.
At one point in the middle of last month, the recurring dream I have of being in a race and not being able to turn my legs over as if they are stuck in treacle... well it came true as I could barely ten-minute mile with the dog on the park.
I look up to elder statesmen and stateswomen who I notice still running around, well in to their seventies and yet undeterred and having a go. Hats absolutely off to them, shuffling down the roads, stooped slightly forward with arms appearing to be working harder than their legs... but this was me at just 45.
I was aching everywhere, my body seemed to keep packing up at about two miles in and there was no energy to try and force the issue. Tired all the time, sleeping like a log but not feeling the benefit... I wasn't well. I mean, I wasn't exactly unwell either, but if you're a runner or in to some other regular physical activity that requires a certain amount of exertion and endurance, then the otherwise subtle symptoms of an underlying virus or similar can feel much more heightened.
As previously proclaimed though, rolling up to February's finale there seemed to be a genuine chink of light at the end of this latest running tunnel. The one thing I have managed to be consistent with this year is Pilates. Initially, although at the expense of some soreness for a day or two, the classes felt like they had certainly straightened me out a bit and restored some verticality (no such word, but I like the sound it) to my posture. A couple of months of it now and dare I say it - me who continually over-enthuses at discoveries that I believe will make me run like I'm ten years younger - but the whole core strengthening thing, I think I finally get it! A few short regular jaunts on the fells again now and I have to say that this morning in particular, I was descending really smoothly and without my knees feeling any sort of battering or buckling, during or after. There's something in this Pilates lark for me, I'm absolutely convinced.
Another twist towards better running fortune was my decision to trial running on the road in low profile racing shoes again. I didn't know any different for many years until I got Achilles trouble. But just recently I've been monitoring the return of infrequent right side strains from glutes, to hip, down to the knee. This seems to recur only after wearing cushioned running shoes, but no backlash from going low profile when going for it on the treadmill, no problems after running in my off-roaders. So it's been back to the old school, feeling the ground underneath again. I even did a nine miler in them to start the month of March off as I mean to go on - and without repercussions.
As ever, I may be building my hopes up to fail again, but just lately that light seems to chink that little bit brighter after every outing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment